The Set

The Set

(Davies .K, 2015, The Set)

And here it is. The subject of weeks of self reflection, discovery, tears, blood, sweat and sore vocal chords. The set of Lovefool is one that is minimal at best. One mannequin is sat the right, another one that is more underdeveloped is at front watching, a more feminine stature is on the left sat at the back, and on the far right another masculine torso watch from behind. The seating is small, 3 rows on 3 different angles to seat every 25 humans present. A microphone is in the exact middle, so the struggling male singer can be scrutinised from every angle of the hungry audience. There he will stand to perform a song, then after he will confess, profess and preach to the audience. Adorned on the floor are torn flower petals, both pink and red, almost like confetti. The petals are reminiscent of a very cheesy romantic scene where the prominent lover lures his “prey” to the boudoir.

The lighting also appealed to me, on a personal level, purely due to how there is such a element of cringe to it. The two red lights resemble a heart and when it was just the red there was a strong undertone of a cabaret lighting, dark, moody and intense. The pink brings this element of camp too it, and also a sense of humanity as well. When I step onto the pink and that is the only colour there I am allowed to perform a monologue where I am allowed to step out from the Singer character and be me and talk to the audience. No illusions, no pretentiousness and no cliché. No other colours apart from pink and red were allowed purely because I didn’t see the need to include them.

Overall the set appeals to me. It gives me this impression of a delapitated bar/club where you still have this Singer who refuses to go. He will stay there and perform about love, he will talk about his heartbreak, he will sing for you and he will then make fun of the trauma he carries. And at the end he will walk off the stage and close the curtain behind him. This was his “last hurrah” in a sense and in closing the curtain he symbolises the departure of his old love, and now leaves for a new one.